If you haven’t fished for a while or just getting started, this the right place to start. Before you run to your nearby store, and buy everything the salesperson tells you to, educate yourself a little, alright?
Now, the first equipment I would suggest is a trout fishing pole. Go with a spinning reel set up. You can either go with an ultra-light rod or a light action rod. If you don’t know what brands/products to look for, pick the best spinning rod for trout fishing from the list below.
For trout, a decent light of medium light power rod or spinning combo will work. These fish aren’t that big so a light combo will do. Another perk of having an ultralight gear is that you can fish for a long time without tiring out your arms or back.
Keep in mind that you will also need a proper line, lure and bait setup. You can either buy whatever the crap Walmart sells, or you can get smart and spend on a quality setup.
Top 5 Best Trout Spinning Rods Comparison Chart
|Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod||$39.95||See Latest Price|
|KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rods, Spin 4ft 6in-UL Power-Moderate-1pc||$49.99 from $49.98||See Latest Price|
|Sougayilang Graphite Carbon Fiber Portable Spinning Telescopic Fishing Rod for Boat Saltwater and...||$59.98 $23.99||See Latest Price|
|Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod||from $12.99||See Latest Price|
|PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod Retractable Fishing Pole Rod Saltwater Travel Spinning Fishing...||from $18.39||See Latest Price|
Top 10 Best Rod for Trout Fishing
Here is a list of top 10 best spinning rods that you can use for trout fishing.
1. UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod
- Strong, yet balanced graphite and fiberglass construction
- Durable Ugly Tuff one piece stainless steel guides
- Clear Tip design for strength and sensitivity
- Durable and lightweight EVA grips
- 7-year warranty
The UglyStik GX2 spinning rod from Shakespeare has a balanced construction composed of fiberglass and graphite. It’s lightweight, balanced and strong. Not only does this rod has a durable construction, but it’s also highly sensitive. It has a clear tip design that can easily detect when a fish is biting. The strong tip on the GX2 is suitable for all sorts of trout fishing.
This rod is literally unbreakable. It has kept the original heritage and tradition of the old Ugly Stik rod while maximizing strength and equal weight distribution. This rod offers a better balance for a lighter feel and will give you an enjoyable fight with the fish. The lightweight EVA grips are not only comfortable, but they are also very durable.
The red and black chrome accents are sure to catch your eye at first glance. The matte black, clean finish gives it a modern look. You will also get Ugly Stik’s trademark Ugly Tuff one-piece stainless-steel guides. It has a nice backbone that can land bigger fish as well.
Pair this with a suitable spinning reel, and you can do all sorts of spin fishing. You can even fish on rough rivers and not have to worry about breaking the rod. This fishing rod will serve you for years. Overall, this is a great light action rod at an amazing price.
- Durable fiberglass and graphite construction.
- Well-balanced and better sensitivity.
- Comfortable and lightweight EVA grips.
- Very affordable and has a modern look.
2. KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rods
- AMAZING QUALITY CARBON FIBER BLANK - All Perigee II one-piece and two-piece Twin-Tip rods are constructed with Toray 24-ton carbon matrix KastFlex technology blanks for power, strength, durability,...
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL - KastKing uses the best quality components in KastKing Perigee II fishing rods. World renowned Fuji O-Ring line guides, tuned ergonomic graphite high-strength reel seats,...
- TWO FISHING RODS for the price of one! KastKing Perigee II Two Piece Twin-Tip carbon fiber spinning rods and baitcasting rods each comes with two rod tips - Medium and Medium Heavy or Medium with...
- SMOOTH POWER - KastKing PTS (Power Transition System) spigot joints in our KastKing Perigee II Twin-Tip rods transition the power smoothly throughout the fishing rod blank. Specialized computer...
- STEP UP - Throw away your old technology ugly fishing pole and step into the future of fishing with a dynamic KastKing Perigee II high performance baitcaster or spinning fishing rod for bass fishing,...
The new KastKing Perigee II is a really awesome rod for the money. They designed this rod as a replacement to the original Perigee but also to be a little bit more affordable. It is a premium rod that anybody can afford. This one has a 24-ton premium Japanese carbon fiber blank that’s been outfitted with Fuji guides. It also features premium reel seat, comfortable and durable EVA grips and many more.
This rod also has split handles and comes in a multitude of different powers and sizes. What’s really cool about this rod that I haven’t seen anybody else in the market has is that you can get it in a solid one-piece rod as well as a two-piece rod. The latter features a twin tip technology. So, when you buy the two-piece rod, you actually buy three pieces.
It’s basically two rods in one. That is something that nobody else has. The twin-tip two-piece rod comes with a special spigot guide. It’s KastKing’s patented power transition system. This is a special system that evens the power to weight ratio. What this does is that when you set the hook and when you got a lot of pull on the end of that rod, it’s going to feel like a single piece rod.
The power transition system actually flows all the way through and doesn’t give you a hard rigid point in the center, and it feels more like a solid one-piece rod. It’s amazing how great this rod feels especially with its crossbow technology. Last but least, it has a hook holder with a cool logo.
- The best trout spinning rod for the budget conscious anglers.
- Durable KastFlex blank technology.
- Available in one-piece and two-piece design.
- Amazing power to weight ration.
3. Sougayilang Fishing Rod
- The Sougayilang Telescoping Travel Spinning Fishing Rods Are Made of High Density 24 Ton Carbon Fiber and E-Glass Composite for Great Power and Sensitivity. It's Light Weight and Perfectly Balanced,...
- The Exquisite Reel Seat Is Made of Corrosion Resistant CNC Machined Aluminum for Years of Worry Free Fishing.
- Three Point Welded Stainless Steel Guides with Ceramic Inserts for Use with Braided or Mono Fishing Line and Providing Saltwater Approved Corrosion Resistant and Power Control.
- Light Weight and Portable, Easily Fits In Car Trunk, Boat Hatch or Backpack. Sougayilang Telescopic Rods Allow You To Travel To Your Favorite Fishing Spot and Enjoy Fishing Whenever and Wherever You...
- Various Sizes and Lengths Available for Freshwater Bass Trout Fishing, Saltwater Surf Fishing or Inshore Fishing. We Are Proud To Present You The Worry-free 1 Year Warranty!
This is a telescopic fishing rod from Sougayilang. If you have been eyeing for a telescopic rod, do check this one out. This is a great one to start with and perfect for traveling anglers. The length is really nice because you can launch it a mile from the shore. It’s got great flexibility, and it breaks down to a foot or half a foot. You can easily fit this into your backpack.
It’s a good rod for catfishing or bass fishing. You can even use it locally for trout fishing as well. It’s really sturdy and seems well-built. It has 24-ton carbon and fiberglass composition that gives it high sensitivity and greater power. It’s perfectly balanced like a one-piece rod and weighs less than a typical telescopic rod.
It’s very portable and fits into any standard size carry bag. The reel seat is corrosion resistant and made out of CNC machined aluminum. Stainless steel line guides with ceramic inserts are saltwater approved and strong. Three-point welded guides are corrosion resistant and last longer than most other line guides.
It has a pretty strong backbone and can deadlift up to 10 pounds. The carbon texture on the pole not only makes the rod looks stunning; it even increases the strength. Exquisitely crafted metal hollow buckle design makes it lighter in weight and keeps the rod fixed more firmly.
- Composite E-glass and carbon fiber construction for a strong pull.
- Corrosion resistant stainless-steel guides.
- Sturdy reel seat.
- Comfortable and ergonomic high-density EVA handles.
4. Shimano FXS 2 Piece Spinning Rod
- Durable Aeroglass Blank Construction
- Reinforced Aluminum Oxide Guides
- Solid Locking Graphite Reel Seat
The FX spinning series of two-piece rods from Shimano is a versatile rod that was created for all ages and skill levels. They cover a wide variety of application and come in different lengths. Get one today and enjoy on any lake, river or stream. They are also suitable for a light saltwater application. They have medium heavy action power and can tackle large trout, carp, and catfish with ease.
The Aeroglass Construction makes it very lightweight, highly sensitive and extremely well made for the price. This rod is definitely designed to last. Not only that, but it’s also very strong and flexible. The handle on this two-piece rod is also strong and feels comfortable. The straight guide rings are bonded and attached really well.
Since it has a two-piece construction, it makes it very easy to transport and storage. It’s a great fishing pole for amateurs and professionals. The Aeroglass blank construction gives it a great level of sensitivity and almost makes it feel like a single piece rod.
For every cast and retrieve, a smooth line flow is important. The aluminum oxide guides will give you that smoothness no matter where you are fishing. Even on wet conditions, the EVA foam rubber grips provide a solid grip and a comfortable fishing experience. It also features a split grip style handle for offshore fishing.
– Reinforced with durable Aeroglass construction.
– Highly versatile rod for a wide range of applications.
– Very sensitive and smooth line flow.
– comfortable EVA foam rubber grips with split grip style handle.
5. PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod Retractable Fishing Pole
- 🎣 Perfect elasticity, high density Carbon fiber mixed with fiberglass make your fishing pole hard & durable.
- 🎣 Aluminum Oxide Guide Inserts; Closed Length: 40 cm 15.75 inch. Opened Length: 1.8 M 5.91 Ft; Section: 6; Top Diameter: 2.3 MM; Butt Diameter : 14 MM.
- 🎣 Stainless Steel Hooded Reel Seats is anti-seawater corrosion; EVA Fore Grip for comfort. attractive design, skillful manufacture and sophisticated technology provides good touch feeling for...
- 🎣 The telescopic fishing rods is portable, and closed length design is convenient carrying around. Power: Medium.
- 🎣 It's the best gift to send father, son, husband, fiance, boyfriend for the upcoming Christmas. KINDLY NOTE: FISHING REEL & Rod Holder IS NOT INCLUDED. Want to buy fishing reel or holder?...
This is probably the best retractable fishing rods ever made by PLUSINNO. It’s a great travel buddy with durable construction. The best feature of a rod like this is its hassle-free portability. It has a special closed-length design that is convenient for carrying in a travel case. Carbon fiber and fiberglass mixed construction are used to give it perfect elasticity and rigidity.
It’s strong enough to withstand any tough fishing scenarios. This pole has sections that lock into place, and you can easily reset it when you are done fishing. This pole is also suitable for saltwater fishing. The reel seat is made out of hardened stainless steel which is also corrosion resistant.
The graphite constructed blank will give you a greater feel for the fish bites. It’s extremely delicate and allows you to feel even the tiniest nibbles on the bait. At the end of the day, sensitivity is important to an angler. But the downside of a graphite-made blank is that it can’t stand heavy loads.
It’s a medium action rod that has a comfortable EVA grip. You can also choose different lengths and action power to suit your fishing game. The EVA foam grip is not only durable, but it is also less expensive compared to cork grips. It has greater longevity and also much easier to clean. On top of that, it also ensures a solid grip, comfortable and controlled handle.
- It has the right amount of flexibility.
- Aluminum oxide line guide inserts.
- Composite rode made from carbon fiber and fiberglass.
- Medium action rod for budget-conscious anglers.
6. Abu Garcia Vengeance Spinning Rod
- 24 ton graphite construction for a lightweight and balanced design
- Zirconium coated guides are perfect for braided line usage
- High Density EVA handles are more durable and comfortable
- Texas-rigged hook keeper for all bait Applications
The Abu Garcia Vengeance rod was engineered with balance and design in mind. It is made using 24-ton high modular graphite construction. The balanced and lightweight design of the rod is always ready to deliver maximum on-the-water performance for every fishing game. This grade of graphite is the main reason behind its high sensitivity.
The vengeance also features stainless steel guides with stainless steel inserts making them work well for all line types and also increases durability. Also, this rod features high-density EVA split grips as well as a blank reel seat design allowing vibrations to be transmitted to hand very easily. The Abu Garcia Vengeance is available is 6 casting models and 8 spinning models.
The Abu Garcia Vengeance features a Texas rigged hook for every type of bait application. This is a rod that never fails to deliver excellent angler value and performance. It has the style, the performance, and the features to make you enjoy your time on the water.
Strong backbone and its high sensitivity allow you to fish with this on every type of lakes, streams, and rivers. When tackling big fish, the Titanium Oxide inserts and the toughness to stand up to braided lines. The stainless-steel guides also allow for improved casting.
- Lightweight design and has a balanced feel.
- Improved casting performance and sensitivity.
- Split style high-density EVA foam grips.
- Serious performance at a great value.
7. St Croix Triumph Spinning Rods
- Premium SCII Graphite
- Outstanding Strength, Sensitivity, and Hook-Setting Power
- Finely Tuned Actions and Tapers for Superior Performance
- Premium Grade Cork Handle
- Hard Aluminum-Oxide Guides with Black Frames
St Croix has been the longest running fishing rod manufacturer in the US. The Triumph series from St Croix gives you a great value and has a rod for every type of angler. They have 39 models in this series. They have choices for everyone and every type of fishing. Their spinning rod model is no exception. The value comes from their craftsmanship.
It has the same standard of construction as the one that they use to make their higher end models. For example, the adhesive that they use on their reel seat cost hundreds of dollars a gallon. They don’t cut any corners on the Triumph. There are six stages on this rod where they use lasers. From blank straightness to line guides and even down to the decal, everything is monitored.
Even though the Triumph is St Croix entry level rod, you will get phenomenal value and a great place to start with St Croix. The blank is made from what they call a “Premium SCII Graphite” material. Basically, what that means is that it is super durable, but you can also feel with it. The blank is time tested, and they also made it very applicable to bass and trout market.
Split grip, good guide train, good aesthetics and just some extras with this rod. What you folks really need to realize is the workmanship and craftsmanship that goes into this rod. They have cut no corner into making this product. In short, the St Croix Triumph Spinning Rods will give you great value pound for pound.
- Premium SCII carbon makes the blank very durable.
- Very sensitive and lightweight.
- Uses cork handle instead of EVA.
- Tuned for delivering superior performance.
8. Penn Carnage II Boat Spinning Fishing Rod
- Sls3 blank construction
- Fuji K guides with alconite insert
- Non slip foregrip
The Carnage II is the 2nd generation of their original Carnage series. The first gen was a hit so this time around, they have made some new and improved changes to this lineup. Starting with the blank which is the heart of the rod, uses Sls3 technology. Which means it has spiral glass carbon on top of its longitudinal fiberglass and carbon fiber. That means that it has inward and outward spiral wraps on these blanks.
There are lots of strength in this blank, really thin diameter which also makes them lightweight. It is a slow action rod. So, these are more parabolic than some of the rod that you have seen from Penn in the past. They have the best money can buy line guides. You know what I’m talking about. Fujis. These K guides with alconite inserts are made for braids.
So, slower action rods, K guide inserts, and alconite inserts, all of that is geared for heavy fishing. The rods have specific reel sizes located on the one-liner as well as which type of line you should use. The grip is very textured on this rod. That’s EVA foam underneath the rubber top coat.
You can see that they are sculpted and they are meant to have grooves for your fingers. You will have a lot of power the foregrip, and you can do a lot of pulling — sculpted EVA with but with an aluminum gimbal for better handle and control.
- The reel seat is made out of machined aluminum.
- Textured grip for a comfortable handle and better control.
- Very durable rod blank.
- Fuji K guides for handling braided lines.
9. Fenwicks Eagle Spinning Rods
- B2 Burled Cork Designs Provides The Feel Of Traditional Cork, But Is More Chip Resistant And Durable
- Stainless Steel Guides With Stainless Steel Inserts Are Lightweight, Strong, And Corrosion Resistant
- Classic Fenwick Actions- Time Tested And Proven From The Original Graphite Rod Company
At first impression, it’s a really pretty rod. The nice gold and black finish give it a sort of a premium look. The Eagle series was first launched at 2014 and has been a top performer in the light to medium action segment. It has some of the classic Finwick action in this lineup and really celebrates their rich heritage in the fishing industry.
No matter which kind of action you are looking for, this series pretty much has them all. Anything from walleye, bass, trout, salmon, steelhead and even fly fishing. Let’s talk about some of the new features that I absolutely love about this rod.
Starting with the handle, it has the new B2 cork handle. It’s a burled cork design that has the feel of traditional cork but a lot stronger and more chip resistant but still has that same lightweight cork feel. It feels really comfortable in your hand. This one also has the stainless-steel guide system. Frames and inserts are also made from stainless steel.
These are such a high-value rod for the money. Time tested rod action that always delivers top-of-the-game performance. The sensitivity of this rod is good, and it has the backbone to tackle a 7lb large fish. Depending on your reel and line setup, you can do all sorts of fishing with this one.
- Corrosion resistant and strong line guides and inserts.
- Stronger and chip resistant B2 burled cork handles.
- Good sensitivity with a lot of backbone.
- Wide selection of rod size and action.
10. KastKing Sharky III Spinning Fishing Rod and Reel Combos
- POWERFUL Toray IM7 Graphite Blanks - Sharky III fishing rod and spinning reel combos feature powerful, sensitive and light-weight Toray IM7 Graphite blanks designed for serious fishing enthusiasts....
- PREMIUM - KastKing uses only premium Fuji guides with O-ring inserts that are perfect for mono or braided lines. We also use Fuji reel seats that keep your reel firmly in place during long days...
- COMFORT - Light Weight EVA Handles and Fighting Butt - KastKing finishes these fishing rods with first-class EVA handles and fighting butt so the rods feel great in your hand and provide all day...
- QUALITY - Includes Best Selling Sharky III Spinning Reel - Each combo includes perfectly matched KastKing Sharky III fishing reels for the rod and the type of fish that it is intended for. Fishing...
- EXCEPTIONAL REEL - VALUE PRICE - KastKing Sharky III spinning reels have 5.2:1 gear ratios, 10+1 stainless steel shielded ball bearings, lightweight graphite frame, aluminum spool, and a unique...
This is perhaps the best trout spinning rod reel combo for the money. It’s the Sharky III from KastKing. The all-new KastKing Sharky III spinning rod and reel combo is an amazing package rolled into one. Everybody knows that Kastking is known for their amazing rods, its amazing reels, and its amazing fishing lines at an affordable price. But this is the first time they jumped into the rod and reel combo in the market.
I have to tell you; they do not disappoint. It’s gorgeous, it’s stunning, and it is a flat performer. So, what makes this combo such a great package? Let’s start with the reel. This here happens to be the 3000 series that features stainless steel 10:1 shielded ball bearing. It’s freshwater and saltwater friendly. It has an industry standard 5.2:1 gear ratio. Triple disc carbon fiber powerful drag for ultimate performance and peace of mind.
So, when the reel of this combo is this much power, the rod will have to keep up with it. The rod features powerful IM7 graphite blank wrapped in two layers of carbon fiber material. It has the power, the backbone, and balanced weight. This rod has the best line guides in the market — Fuji guides with O-ring inserts, nothing less than the premium.
It’s a beautiful rod and reel combo that will cast for miles. It has the classic red and black accent that looks absolutely gorgeous. Split EVA comfort grip handles for better handling and solid grip with a cork front. On a side note, this is a two-piece rod.
- Toray IM7 Graphite Blanks for power and strength.
- Very sensitive and designed for serious fishing enthusiasts.
- Premium Fuji guides with O-ring inserts.
- Top of the line spinning reel and rod combo.
How to Choose the Best Fishing Rod for Trout Fishing?
All the products in this list are based on the spinning setup. You can either make your own rod and reel combo, or you can buy an ultralight rod and pair it up with a decent spinning reel.
So, we are going to discuss our beginner series of gearing up for trout fishing. Eventually, I will go through reels, lures, baits, lines and all that. All the information that you will be in a couple of different articles.
The following section will give a general idea about trout rods and what to look for when buying one. I see a lot of articles that try to hit everything all at once. They are probably shouting out terms that you have never heard before. So, don’t get overwhelmed by all of that.
I’m going to break it down and try my best to stay away from any of the complicated, more in-depth talk that’s not necessarily important right now.
So, the first thing we are going to look at is a spinning rod. If you are looking for a rod to buy online or go to your nearby local fishing store, just ask them to take you to their spinning rod section.
Once you are there, look for a length. You will need something between 4-ft to 6 or 7 in length. You will also see some other specs written like light action or ultralight action. If you don’t know what all of these means, don’t worry. Any rod that’s going to be between 4 to 6 foot will fall in the light or ultra-light category.
If you don’t have the luxury to buy multiple rods, go with a 7-ft. pole. It’s a safe bet and can be used to fish lakes of different size and shapes.
There are just so many rods out there. Some can be as cheap as 5 or 10 dollars while some go up to 800. Whatever your budget or whatever you feel comfortable with spending, go for it.
I will say in fishing, or any other things in life, you get what you pay for. The cheapest in the market won’t cut it. They are not as sensitive. Sensitivity means that you will feel the bites easier.
So, a good $50 rod will be a good starting point. If that’s a little too much, then go down to whatever you feel comfortable with spending.
You can either buy a two-piece rod or a one piece. One piece is a lot more sensitive, and you will feel more comfortable fishing. Some people need to break them down, fit them into the car, if that’s what you want, by all means, go for a two-piece rod.
To test how sensitive the rod is, there a cool technique that I found really useful. It works best if you have two people. You start by holding on to the handle of the rod and then have somebody else put the tip of the rod on their neck and have them talk.
If you want the best trout fishing rod, then you have to pay attention to the sensitivity of the rod.
You should feel the vibrations of their voice at the bottom of the handle. That’s going to let you know when a fish is biting a lot easier. If you can feel those vibrations of a voice talking through the handle, you are going to feel the fish bites a lot easier. And that’s where the most expensive rods come into play.
If you are looking for the most sensitive rod or the lightest, I would suggest you go with a product that’s made out of graphite. If you prefer durability, go with fiberglass material. You can always choose something in between and go with a composite rod.
Having a clear line guide will help feel the vibrations more easily. Ceramic guides are extremely smooth and easily detects when fish bites.
Trout Fishing Tips with A Spinning Rod
Whether I’m spin fishing in the lake or a stream, I almost always carry multiple rods. Typically, two or sometimes three and the reason is this. Different lengths, different powers, and possible different actions as well.
My actions all tend to be fast action meaning that the rod bends at the very tip of the rod more than anywhere else. So, a truly fast action rod bends down heavily at the very tip of the rod but has a little more meat or beef or power, whatever you want to call it through the middle of the rod.
If you couple that with fast to extra fast reel, something like 5.8 or more as far as gear ration goes. For the line, I always go with a fluorocarbon. Sometimes I also go with NanoFil lines between four and eight pound in most scenarios.
The rod setup depends on where I will go fishing. Most of the time, the light action rod does everything.
So, Which One Is the Best?
After all, that, if you are still not sure which one to buy, I would suggest going with the UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod, if you are on a tight budget. Otherwise, go with a rod and reel combo from Kastking if you want to set yourself the trouble gearing up for trout fishing.
I hope you enjoyed this article and this gives you some ideas on how to choose the best spinning rod for trout. As always, good luck fishing.