What’s the Best Saltwater Spinning Reel? Today we are going to highlight some of the top saltwater spinning reel reviews for the fishermen.
On a chilled winter day or a lazy summer vacation, it is great to plan for fishing and floating on water throughout the day.
So, whatever you are an experienced or beginner fisherman, just rock the water world. Make sure that you have picked your right fishing reel accordingly.
For instance, if you are thinking of angling on any freshwater source, such as on river or lake, choose a spinning reel that is made of aluminum.
On the other hand, if it is in an ocean area, take one that is made of graphite and suitable for use in saltwater.
Check out our pick for the 5 Best Saltwater Spinning Reels for the Money
Top 10 Best Saltwater Spinning Reel Reviews
1. Daiwa Opus Saltwater Spinning Reel, Opus Saltwater
This single ball bearing version of the saltwater spinning reel of the Opus offers in an extra-capacity reel. Daiwa Opus Saltwater Spinning Reel with a single ball bearing version delivers a flawless performance.
Freshwater or saltwater wherever you are planning for fishing, you can easily go for it. For surf, jetty, pier or boat use it is the perfect one.
Daiwa Opus spinning reel gives a high performance and satisfies all fishermen. It is a reliable fishing reel for someone who is looking for a quality product without spending much money.
- Extra-heavy action in both saltwater and freshwater
- Smooth, multi-disc drag
- Ball bearing plus roller bearing ensure smooth performance
- Twist Buster line technology minimizes fishing line twisting when reeling
- Anti-reverse feature provides more controlled and safer movement of spinning handle
- Reasonable price
- Easy and suitable for all the beginners as well as the professional fishermen
- Provides an excellent value of performance
- Saltwater friendly and no corrosion even after a long time using in marine water
- Ball bearing and anti-reverse features make it smooth and easy to use
- Sturdy and extremely durable
- Ball arm may be a little tight initially (loose after few days use)
- Line may go under the reel and get tangles (in very few cases)
2. Daiwa Regal Bite and Run Saltwater Spinning Fishing Reel
Daiwa has become one of the largest and most influential tackle companies in the fishing world today. It is widely known for distributing tackle instruments of the high standard throughout the countries worldwide.
Daiwa presents a highly reliable saltwater spinning fishing reel — Daiwa Regal Bite and Run Saltwater Spinning Reel. It comes with a very smooth retrieve and drag system and also holds a lot of heavy fishing lines.
Excellent reel for the money and sturdily built with the combination of quality and innovation. It is one of the trustiest names of spinning reel in today’s world.
- Automatic Bite and Run clutch
- Four ball and roller bearings for smooth performance
- Simple turn of handle provides maximum drag tension that you’ve pre-selected
- Smooth, wet-system front drag with front adjustment
- Dual and Selectable Infinite Anti-Reverse feature makes it easy to use
- Free spare composite spool
- Quality product in reasonable price
- Bite and Run mechanism function well
- Sturdy and durable
- Very suitable for saltwater use
- Good performance
- Smooth and easy to use
- Reel may sometimes stop reeling in the line and makes noise (rarely)
- Very few customers complained that coil body sometimes flexes
3. Yoshikawa Baitfeeder Spinning Reel Saltwater Freshwater Fishing
Yoshikawa produces Bait-feeder Saltwater Spinning Reel where there are both front drag and rear drag on the same reel!
When the front-drag can’t handle the burden of big fish, you can manage it by activating the rear-drag. You can make the fish food and eat the bait unconsciously until you load them on your boat.
Bait-feeder reel was originally designed for hunting carp fish. Now it has been used widely for freshwater casting, surf-fishing, jigging, and shore-fishing or anywhere you expect a big one.
Along with carp, get a lot of significant friends like tarpon, kingfish, mackerel and big salmon.
- TITAN Graphite Construction
- Anodized CNC Aluminum Spool, Stainless Steel Shaft made it suitable for saltwater fishing
- Foldable Left-right interchangeable Aluminum handle
- 10+1 High Power Corrosion-Free ball bearings
- Bait-Running (runner or live liner) feature presents a fully free-spool mode
- Selective Silent Anti-Reverse System
- Quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing
- 5.5:1 gear ratio for a secure and fast retrieve
- Watertight drag seal
- Interchangeable left-right foldable handle made it unique
- Corrosion resistant and durable
- Big Soft Touch Plastic Knob makes it comfortable
- Smooth and easy to cast with high performance
- In rare case, it was reported to be broken
4. Spinning Reel Saltwater Fishing Reels Battle II with Freshwater Fishing Reel
Spinning Reel Saltwater Fishing Reel is suitable every position like Ocean Boat, Ocean Beach, Ocean Rock, Stream River, Reservoir Pond or Lake.
With a good appearance, it is a perfect choice for you also for its buttery smooth casting and reeling.
Compared to many expensive brands, this spinning reel gives you far better performance. The checkered finish on the reel is the unique feature that is fun.
- Waterproofing system to withstand saltwater corrosion
- Heavy-duty device made with aluminum Corrosion resistant material
- Left/right interchangeable collapsible metal CNC handle
- Instant anti-reverse roller bearing
- Corrosion resistant construction and materials
- Stainless steel bail wire
- Smooth operating and stops immediately
- Sealed drag system
- Silent Oscillation with worm gear level wind
- 13 + 1 no clearance bearings and one Quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing for smooth casting
- Attractive appearance
- Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater fishing
- Corrosion resistant, sturdy and durable
- Metal CNC handle won’t break from inwards quickly while reeling in a fish
- Flawless performance
- Comfortable to hold and easy to handle
- Very few reported that size is smaller than their needs
- Some indicated that it is more suitable for freshwater rather than saltwater
5. Supertrip Saltwater Spinning Reel Carbon Fiber 44.1 LBs Max Drag Brass Gears Metal Strong Corrosion Resistance Stainless Steel Fishing Reels
GZsupertrip brings this super comfy spinning fishing reel with excellent features. Easy to use Supertrip Sea Saltwater Metal Corrosion Resistant Stainless-Steel Fishing Reels Spinning Reel comes with convenient medium size.
Using this will reduce the number of equipment as well as cut down the fishing costs. This spinning reel is super-handy, neither too large nor too small.
It fit all the saltwater and freshwater reels with both hands interchangeable feature. It has super-smooth and easily adjustable drag so be prepared not to have any jerks or flaws during fishing.
This is really strong and a quality spinning reel that is not going to disappoint you.
- Fits all freshwater reels and saltwater reels
- Anti-twine line roller
- 11 + 1 no clearance bearings with one Quick-set anti-reverse instant roller bearing
- Left and Right hand exchangeable AL CNC Handle
- Heavy-duty aluminum corrosion resistant and stainless steel bail wire
- Adjust line wheels and waterproof gasket
- Smart outlook and Convenient size
- Long cast spool, high-speed spinning reel
- Fits all saltwater and freshwater reel
- Smooth feel lightweight reel
- Metal CNC handle won’t break from inwards quickly while reeling in a fish
- Reduces cost of fishing
- Bearing are unsealed! So smoothness goes away within few days due to salt build-up while fishing in marine water
- Needs a significant amount of care
6. Piscifun New Venom Spinning Reel Lightweight Smooth Fishing Reel 10+1BB Carbon Fiber Drag Powerful Spin Reels
The green and black look has earned it the name venom. The designers must be obsessed with poison ivy. Batman must have one.
Piscifun gives us five models of this reel. It should be mentioned that Piscifun although being a British company they will only ship model 1000 and 3000 to the US.
“The more you pay the more you get”.
Our opinion is either buy the 4000 or the 5000 model. Why? because the drag capacity increases drastically in the last two models.
The knobs 1000-3000 are suitable for saltwater where the big knobs of 4000 & 5000 are suitable for salt water.
Speaking of bearings, strength, and comfort –
It has 11 double main shaft bearings. It has a nice and hard grip with a rubber handle. The spool is aluminum and the body is carbon fiber.
The Piscifun Venom features Sealed Rubber Ring in the drag. The gears are reinforced alloy drive gear.
- 3 premium drag washers
- Memorizing looks.
- Smooth casting.
- High strength and corrosion free.
- Comparatively slow.
- Little heavy and less sensitive.
7. KastKing Sharky II Fishing Reel – Smooth Spinning Reel
The Sharky 2 from fishing reels unleashes its beauty right from the unboxing. The red and black combination is and had always been customer favorite. The Sharky 2 has 8 models but only 3 are suitable for salt water.
We’ll be talking about three models only, KK-Sharky II-6000, KK-Sharky II-8000, and KK-Sharky II-10000. Only Model 6000 has some significant drawbacks in the quality of drag and line capacity compared to the other two reels.
Though it has the least weight, I would consider it as the first knockout. And between the model 8000 and 10000 it is clear that the 8000 is better for having lesser weight and price.
Everything else is absolutely the same. Analytically Sharky 2- 8000 is the best one among the three.
All the reels have 11 bearings. 10 bearing balls and 1 reverse bearing. These are MaxiDur bearings. The EVA foam grip makes it comfortable to fish for a long time.
The alloy drive gear and the aluminum spool makes it both durable and light. The lube retention grooves help prevent water and dirt from getting into your fishing reel.
This is ideal for your trip to the sea. You get what you pay for.
- Very smooth bearings and drag system.
- Drag audibility is very good.
- Waterproof reel.
- The bail and handles are very comfortable.
- Durable and heavy duty.
- Sometime the bail arm could catch on the top of the spool.
- The bail closes while casting but it’s rare.
8. Daiwa Procyon Spinning Reel
Daiwa gives us a reel packed with cutting age state of the art technologies. And to those guys who are suffering from a sticky drag, I would like to tell them that it’s like a hot knife cutting through butter.
There are 4 models of the Daiwa Procyon. They are- PREX2000SH, PREX2500SH, PREX3000H, PREX4000H.
In our analysis, we see the PREX2500SH is best for the money. But if you want more power and efficiency then just go for the pricier ones.
The reel has a narrow rigid aluminum body and spool. The bail is made of stainless steel and it’s hallow that makes it much lighter and stronger. It has an ABS aluminum spool which was spun by a machined cut aluminum handle.
Another rare feature about the reel is its anti-reverse switch. These reels have stainless steel bearings. 7 ball bearings and 1 reverse bearing.
It has a magsealed construction. It is a special kind of fluid which is used to seal the reel to protect from any moisture in the reel.
This fluid changes density and shape in magnetic fields. The air rotor is designed to be more smooth and lightweight.
This is so good that it’s making hard for me to write any negative comments
- Magsealed construction
- Air rotor design.
- Light tubular airbail design
- Incredibly smooth
- Air bail
- Anti-reverse switch
- It could make some noise after some use. But Daiwa will take it back from you and give you a new one if it does.
- It makes me feel weird when I see the instruction in the box that “don’t get the reel wet or submerged in the water”. Than what was the magsealed thing about?
9. Piscifun Destroyer Sealed Spinning Reel 2000 3000 4000 Series
Piscifun destroyer is one of the best if not the best spinning reels for the money. It has everything an excellency should have and still manages to be very cheap.
It’s always your choice to choose the perfect model for you but in comparison with the price, the model 4000 seems to be the best.
The destroyer has an aluminum body and body cover. The rotor of the reel is made of high strength graphite rotor. The spool body is made of double color anodized machined aluminum.
These features make it very light and sensitive. The line guides are covered with titanium nitride. All of the features above make the reel heat, corrosion and wear resistant.
This light and durable reel come with a CNC aluminum handle design and an EVA knob making it easy to reel and soft for the hand for long hours of your fishing time.
The knob also provides a good grip.Very interesting and unique feature about this reel is its interchangeable handle which you can change from right hand to left hand.
Some other notable thing in this reel is a premium brass main shaft, 7+1 sealed bearings, and precision aluminum alloy drive gear.
The drag is wonderful on this reel. It has a metal front and sealed drag knob making it lighter and corrosion free.
- Interchangeable right and left hand handle.
- Nice little carrying package.
- Anti-tangle spool design.
- Highly protected.
- Comparatively very cheap.
- The smaller size of the reel might become a problem for some.
- The joint of the grip of the handle seems lose a little bit. But you should not have any problem for the fantastic customer service.
10. Abu Garcia Revo Inshore Spinning Reel
Abu Garcia never disappoints us. This time they give us a perfect saltwater spinning reel. Revo Inshore Spinning reels are perfect for all kinds of saltwater applications.
Abu Garcia this time doing overwhelmingly good when it comes to durability.
Out of all the models that Abu Garcia offers, we found that the REVO21NS35 has the most marginal benefit. But only you can decide what will be the best for you.
The AMGearing system and the COG gear design gives you possibly the best gears you can imagine. These are aluminum machined gears.
This paired with the saint less steel hpcr 6+1 bearings gives a smoothness that you can never think of.
The bail design is perfectly optimized for line control. The intro also features a carbon matrix drag design which gives you not only an extremely smooth start-up inertia but also a high max drag.
It works extremely well in high cover conditions. And another rare feature is the C6 carbon rotor design. It gives you significant weight reduction without sacrificing the strength.
IM-C6™ (Insert molded C6) body design combines an X- craftic™ gearbox design with a C6 carbon body, which gives a lightweight construction that houses gears in perfect alignment (30-35 sizes)
- Perfect for saltwater applications.
- The gear feel is very good.
- The bail angle is very well designed.
- You might feel this to be a little bit pricey.
On this planet, marine water bodies cover over 70% of the surface. While only 1% of it is covered by freshwater. So if you are a saltwater fisherman, first of all, it is important for you to decide where to fish in this huge water world.
The Best Places For Saltwater Fishing
Prince Edward Island of Canada: Here you can catch a huge tuna from August to mid-October.
Belize: A country in Central America, the World’s Best Place where you get an Inshore Slam, a great number of bonefish, tarpons, permits, etc through the year round especially from midsummer to the end of fall.
Malindi: To get an offshore slam through the year, go in this bay of Kenya, especially through January-February to fulfill your fantasies.
Florida’s Key West: the Best place where blue water can make mad all the beckon enthusiasts through the year.
Panama: Though the coast becomes wet in the rainy season, this is one of the best fishing spots in the world with a huge source of big fish all the year round. Catch an abundance game fish like roosterfish, club era snapper, large Sierra, bluefin trevally, etc.
Similarly, Bermuda, Montauk of New York, The Bahamas, Cabo San Lucas of Mexico, etc. are also among the best choices as marine fishing spots where endless saltwater habitats will surely make your day.
Saltwater fishing is tougher and more challenging than fishing in the freshwater to all amateurs, beginners as well as to the experienced fishermen. Freshwater species are more adaptive and harder compared to those of the saltwater sources due to the constantly changing surroundings. On the other hand, saltwater fish are relatively wilder, bigger, stronger and tougher to handle since there is a stable environment for them to enjoy in the larger ocean world.
The saltwater fishing condition is totally diversified than the condition of freshwater or inshore fishing. Therefore, your experience will also be different in both cases. As the ocean is larger than any water bodies on the earth’s surface, you will have to deal with pretty big fish. Moreover, seawater contains a huge salt concentrated in it that increases the risks of corrosion to your fishing devices. Besides, there are a lot of rocks and reefs that could cut your fishing reel. Because of that tough line and heavy lures would be appropriate in this case. Saltwater spinning reels are also called as “Open-Faced” occasionally and are perfect for targeting the large-sized game fish.
Choosing a suitable spinning for saltwater fishing is a crucial factor for the purpose of making your time on the water easy and enjoyable. Like every other fishing reel; spinning reels, used in salt water, also have several types of components, and you should be completely aware of what is being looked for.
Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Saltwater Spinning Reel
saltwater spinning reels are intended to be used for a long time since nobody would like to buy a new one or replace it with a short interval. You’ll want a reel that is going to be sturdy in a consistent manner as the ocean species are comparatively much larger and heavier than those of freshwater. Material which the reels are made of should be compatible with the incredibly rough circumstances of marine water. That is why the bodies of these reels are usually made of aluminum or other non-metal substances such as graphite. A good saltwater reel should have drag washers sealed so that water does not get inside; here Penn Spinfisher V would be a great choice.
Fishing Line Capacity
If the capacity of the fishing line while fishing on an ocean is not enough, you will not be able to catch those big heavyweight fish. Use a line according to what kind of species are going to be aimed and how many lines are needed.
Choose a spinning reel according to the types of species that you are targeting to get. For example, if you are thinking of fishing through jogging, then go for a reel which is specially made for jigging Okuma Cedros or Daiwa Saltist and catch plenty of bluefin tuna. For hardheaded catfish selects a bait feeder type spinning reel that can make it much easier.
A decent number of ball bearings would give you a smooth rotation of your spinning reel. In contrast, you would get the reel jerky to handle with a lesser amount of ball bearings and make difficult the process than it should be. Try to buy a spinning reel with the ball bearings count possibly high before going to an ocean as you don’t know how large fish you may hook.
All of the reels above are good. You are absolutely on your own when choosing a reel that best suits you.
The Piscifun Destroyer and Daiwa Procyon are both equally good. If one does well in one area the other excels in another.
But Piscifun was able to keep its price significantly lower relative to any other reel. The KastKing, Abu Garcia, Piscifun Venom are very good reels. You should never buy a reel without checking these out.
For every angler around the globe, it is a dream to have an amazing fishing day over the huge water surface. Grab your suitable spinning reel, make a successful day and shake to the rhythm.
Saltwater fishing is an excellent experience. There are various options to pick the best saltwater spinning reel for the fishermen. You just have to align your requirements accordingly in the right way.