Do you love fishing?
if you do, haven’t you ever thought of a fishing rod that can be collapsed into small size for portability?
Well, in that case, your wish has come true.
The thing you wish for is called a telescopic fishing rod.
In this article, I’m going to discuss about the telescopic fishing rod…
What Is A Telescopic Fishing Rod?
A telescopic fishing rod is ideal for people who like to fish during travels. That’s because it can be disintegrated into small connected pieces which allow you to take it anywhere in the world along with you. As their shorted size is between 18-26 inches, they can be fitted anywhere like in a backpack or luggage or in a trunk, etc.
What Is It Made Of?
The handle consists of carbon fiber or cork; basically, that is covered with soft foam so that the user can have a comfortable grip. The reel seat needs to be strong, so it is made of aluminum, stainless steel, or sometimes even glass is also used.
The blanks are formed of carbon fiber so that it may allow the user maximum flexibility as well as proper strength to catch a fish. Also, you can feel the fish that due to the flexibility.
The eyes are made of a type of metal that is suitable for it and help to harden the sections. Telescopic rods often have a plastic cover that protects the eye when in shrunk position.
How Does It Expand and Shrink Down?
The rod is made of a handle and collection of “hollows” that is small stretches in the diameter. Each of the gaps has different diameters that taper upward so
that it can be easily shrunk and expanded. It has several joints, and the joint near the handle has the largest diameter, and gradually it becomes lesser in size.
Power and Action Rating
The strength of the backbone section determines the power rating of the rod, which is just above the handlebar and reel. Due to the structure of telescopic rods, they are rated as medium light. Generally, the larger the diameter of the handle, the more power you get.
You can determine the action of the rod by simply measuring how easily and how much a rod bend from the tip. However, due to the structure and build material of these rods, they move far from the tip providing action rating moderate to slow.
Where Can I Use A Telescopic Fishing Pole
Most of the manufacturers who make this type of rods make sure that you can put this thing in use in both freshwater and saltwater. But still before buying the product you need to make sure about these facts as some products are only suitable for fishing either in freshwater or saltwater.
Or else you may face problems such as rust. And certainly, this is not the thing you would want with your newly bought fishing pole.
What Kind Of Fish Can I Catch With This Rod?
If you want to fish for small trouts or small salmons in small streams and rivers, you can use long telescopic rods (generally 15 feet or more) using worm hook to tempt the fish in the middle of the stream or river without casting it.
But in the sea or if you want to fish for Atlantic salmon which may weigh up to 15-20 kilos, it’s better to use two-piece rods about eight nine or ten feet long. That’s because catching these fishes require a strong back and enough length to play the muscular salmon.
How to Extend and Insert the Telescopic Fishing Rod
The telescopic rod should be opened and closed with special care. Though they are strong and can take a heavy load, they can break while being closed.
Opening Telescopic Fishing Rod:
- The rod should be opened from the tip section to bottom respectively and have to ensure that there is no sideways pressure so that the sections can’t move when twisted.
- Make sure that you extend the parts individually and see if it’s well arranged but not too tight before moving forward to the next part.
- Now fetch the tip with a Lilian string by turning over the rod a little, and you need to ensure that you remove the plug.
- Leash the line to the tip after exposing the section with braided string.
- Pull out each section and tighten the joints until they are tightly fixed.
- cross-check everything and shake the rod to check if there’s any unpleasant sound. If there’s any, that means any of the section hasn’t extended properly. Search for it and extend it properly.
Closing Telescopic Fishing Rod:
- Once again, do not apply pressure from the side. Use fingers only not the palm or else it may be damaged.
- Undo the joints by holding at two sides of the joint and draw in the pole section by section.
- Do not push forcibly as it may hurt your hand too.
- Start drawing in from the butt section. If you do otherwise, the end section may fall into other section, and that would be harmful to the rod.
- The rod may break if you bend it forcibly or use the fishing line when it is in disorder.
What to Do If Any Section Gets Stuck at A Joint:
- Try a little bit harder to pull in the thinner section by twirling it, hold at a place near joints which will not slide. Now Press and screw sections in the opposite direction to loosen the joints but be certain about not to give any sideways pressure.
- Another technique is to pour hot water on the larger side of the joint. Try to take it as close as you can near the joint so that it may expand rapidly. Then after some seconds, try to twist the small side of the joint back down.
- If still not working, use ice on the small side of the joint to shrink it and do the same as the above.
- You may try lubricants also like CRC or tackle-guard. Leave the joints to soak after applying lubes and then try to take the rod down.
Why Use A Telescoping Fishing Rod?
You may be eagerly waiting for this part. What are the benefits?
Well, due to portability, these fishing poles are easier to carry while traveling as they easily fit into your backpack or luggage. You don’t need to buy more expensive fishing cases, neither you have to check your rod nor have to worry about baggage handlers to break it.
Not much planning is necessary to go for fishing with a telescopic rod. Whatever your destination is and however you travel, you can take this travel-friendly tool of yours.
Though they are highly portable, they may be stronger than other standard poles. As they are in sections, stress and weight are equally distributed along with the bow of the pole.
Besides, the cost of a telescopic rod is quite reasonable compared to its counterparts. You can even purchase a complete rod and reel combo with the same price.
Are There Any Disadvantages?
You may want to buy the rod from your favorite manufacturer. But as the price point is a bit low, big brands do not bother to compete with others. So, it’s for sure that you won’t get a large variety of products to choose from.
Moreover, as said earlier, telescopic fishing poles are limited to moderate and slow actions. Rarely you would find a rod rated for fast action which means you can’t catch larger fish with this rod.
Finally, the rods get stuck sometimes in the extended position if any dirt enters the blank. Any damage or jamming may cause the rod to no longer expand or shrink.
These telescopic fishing rods provide you the ultimate flexibility. They are always ready to go with you irrespective of where you are going, whether you keep it in your car or travel with it in your backpack or anywhere else.
So just plan your next fishing trip and go for it with the telescopic rod you have.